Author Topic: isometric example  (Read 3094 times)

Boogle

• View Profile
isometric example
« on: March 14, 2015, 02:53:26 PM »
Latest Update:

Visit this link Visit this link to witness the amazing improvement of hacking Tululoos game engine to support Sprite sheets!!! (Would love Texture Atlas, but this is the next best thing).

Visit this link to see this demo turned into a full game with 2 game modes, scores system/hud/sound etc.

Original Online Demo -> An insanely slow load time (unless already cached) as this was before I hacked in some sprite sheet support...

OLD UPDATE:
  • I added some alerts for credit at start and a win and loose message (not something I would use in a real game - but fine for this demo.
  • I added Touch screen support - (plus scaling) so this demo now works on mobile devices
  • I added something to do - catch 3 goblins within the time limit - the goblins can just continue to be dumped into the scene - which I might do at some stage as part of a multi-level game.

That completes the demo code from me. i.e. I don't plan to touch the demo code again.

It isn't a fully complete solution - if you use this there is still a lot of polish to do - some of these I have put comments in the code on how you might go about doing it.
But I think it serves as a decent example which Tululoo didn't have.

Hopefully it might encourage some new users. :)

I plan to turn it into a series of short games in the near future.

------------------
OLD MESSAGE
------------------

I didn't see any examples posted here, so I made one:

Online Demo (Tululoo REALLY needs Texture Atlas support)
(see links at top of post).
Download the Tululoo project here:
download link

Demo includes:
  • Speed based on direction (based on isometric speeds)
  • Collision checking - based on a collision tile level
  • 8 walking directions
  • 8 idle directions
  • 8 attack directions (space bar) Plus cool down.

If I get some more time I will improve the example in the following ways:
  • [Done]Touch screen support: Get direction based on mouse click (nearest of the 8 available directions)
  • [Done]Put in something to do - e.g. Catch a chicken or something...

Final note, so I could put this together quickly  - collision objects are drawn as tiles - i don't mind see through objects in isometric - but most likely you would prefer to put in some transparency code instead so it still looks like you are walking behind - but the object becomes see-through...

To do this - simply remove the tiles in question (e.g. tree tiles) and add it as an object instead - in code have the object test for player's x/y and change it's transparency if object gets close.

ART CREDITS: the isometric tilesheet was posted here by Clint Bellanger for the Open Source Flare project.

ARTISTS (attribution required by CC-BY-SA 3.0 or CC-BY 3.0)
Clint Bellanger
Lamoot
Blender Foundation | apricot.blender.org
lattice
p0ss
Bart K. | OpenGameArt.org
Sindwiller
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:45:22 PM by Boogle »

newguy

• View Profile
Re: isometric example
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 02:54:35 AM »
Hi, would you be interested in developing a simple game for me?  Send and email if you are, thanks
Check me out

http://safecaches.co m

Boogle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 04:57:32 AM »
What did you have in mind? Are you wanting to build up a showcase for your website?

Unfortunately this forum is not very active atm, but there may be some who still visit without posting.

Boogle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 02:58:49 PM »
Updated the links with the latest example and code.

Boogle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 04:45:19 PM »
Texture atlas looked very time consuming to implement.

Sprite sheets on the other hand was much simpler.

I updated the export.js to add the support and added a flag (variable) toward the top of the file so I could turn it on after export.

I used this to easily take the image files from 300+ to just 5 files. I could have got this even lower if I wanted to combine some files myself - but this is just a demo after all.

The sprite sheet code added expects that the first file in the original array created by Tululoo is actually a sprite_sheet.

http://itmatters.mobi/demo/iso_ss/
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:44:27 PM by Boogle »